PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2011, 21:24
Lonewolf_50

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts
Was CL a reaction to O/S?
Bear, where does the aircraft get the energy to accelerate from Mach 0.82 to Mach 0.866, particularly when there are indications that they reduced to Mach 0.8 or so before things began to go wrong?
What else could have kept her "flying" to FL380, especially after STALL at "cruise" (a/p) managed parameters?
*smart arsed remark* nose down pitch? (sorry)

Bear, that sequence of events looks to conflict with recorded sequence of events. How do you arrive at "be stalled at A/P managed paramaters" there? The sequence looks more like a/p held parameters -> something -> a/p off -> (we are in alternate law) -> parameter change -> something -> stall. As noted previously, with the momentum of Mass (205 Tons) and V (upwards of Mach 0.8) you don't bleed off the kinetic energy all at once.
If the STALL was true at a/p drop, how could she have held that much (aero derived) ENERGY?
I think you answered your own question. IF "stall at A/P drop," THEN no climb. When you stall, you tend to fall, since you no longer have sufficient lift to defy gravity. Also, it means that "at ap drop" all of that airspeed is already gone, or most of it. That doesn't seem to fit the data provided.

Put another way ... when you are stalled, you don't have the energy to get that other 3000 feet up.

Can someone show me how to make an aircraft climb while it remains in a stall?

Caveat: Hmm, maybe there's a bunch of left over energy if you have an accelerated stall in a high G turn ... I'll need to think about that one ... but there is no evidence that AF 447 was in accel stall nor in a high g turn.

OK, I have an idea. Can I gain altitude after I stall? (Well, one way to do that is to bounce off of the pavement after I hit it. Another is to eject from the stalled jet before it hits the ground ... but none of those apply here ...)

Yes, I probably can, but not much, given the energy I bled off getting to stall in the first place.

Let's see ....

I could be going real fast, pull up on the stick, pitch the nose up, and hold that attitude, and my monemtum carries me up ... before I reach apogee, as energy bleeds like a severed femoral artery ... I stall by reaching critical AoA, and then just past ... a few more feet of "up" are the result of residual momentum from my up vector, rapidly being countered by Mother Earth's gravity.

That does not appear to be what was going on with AF 447, in terms of the altitude increase from FL 350.

Bear, you can't manipulate the data into a stall, then a climb to FL 380. Not until you dig up Bernoulli and make him rewrite that law.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 10th Jun 2011 at 21:42.