PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your airlines' policy about the use of automation during flight?
Old 10th Jun 2011, 21:18
parabellum
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pedant Mode 'ON'

"the more I practise, the better I get" ...
Or, in response to people who told him how lucky he was to keep winning, he replied, "Yes, the more I practice the luckier I get"?

Pedant Mode 'OFF'

We are really talking about the extreme ends of the same piece of string. At one end we have the brand new pilot who has done the absolute minimum of hand flying required for a licence and gone straight to an electric jet and is totally unaccustomed to hand flying it, whilst at the other end of the string we have the old hand who simply doesn't like all this "new fangled electronic stuff" because they don't properly understand it and want to resort to their basics when trouble occurs, dumping a whole load of help in the process.

Those are the extremes, now to find the happy medium somewhere towards the middle!

(Personally I would legislate that every new pilot fresh from school with a new licence does a minimum of 1500 hours in GA before even touching a multi crew aircraft! I can guess how popular that would be!).