PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight deck - CRM ?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2011, 20:01
Young Paul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It interests me that I made a disidentified observation about what I consider to be a flight safety issue (placed in a flight safety forum), and the first response attempted to undisidentify it, and accused me of having an axe to grind. The only axe I have to grind is flight safety. But if the hat fits ....

As I said in a neighbouring post,
people talk about crew and flight deck "working as a team", but the impression that the cabin crew are basically waitresses and downroute entertainment is not really compatible with an understanding that they are part of the crew required for the safe operation of the airliner - it certainly doesn't accord them equal status as team members. "All part of one team" becomes nothing more than a slogan that is recited at the annual CRM training day to get a tick in the box.
It certainly is the role of the cabin crew to ensure that the pilots are fed and watered in the air - and also to confirm that they are still alive on a regular basis. However, the flight crew are part of the same team as the cabin crew. They are colleagues, not premium passengers.

The defence of privilege as part of the status quo by those with power doesn't have a pretty track record.