PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2011, 18:38
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Super discussion of FBW control laws, yet....

@ ashling:

The snippet I posted of the Viper laws shows function after function related to dynamic pressure/static pressure) so read IAS or CAS or EAS, your call. Not true airspeed. So using the area and deflections of the control surfaces, the confusers change their deflection angles and rates to get about the same "feel" at any altitude or speed for the "gee command" logic of the Airbus and the little jet I flew long ago. Because the actual airframe is moving at true airspeed thru the atmosphere/over the earth versus IAS, the rate gyros come into play. So the FBW systems have rate functions to help with this.

Honest to God, I would have to strap some of you into the front seat in a family model and show you what it 'feels" like and what it actually does. Sorry, but those days are gone forever, guess I should let them go ( cheap reference to Don Henley's "Boys of Summer", heh heh).

@ wolf and bear:

My point about the climbing ( pitch up attitude) condition is that the Airbus appears to command a gee that is compensated for the pitch attitude ( unlike my system). e.g. at a 30 degree angle, the 'bus would trim for 0.87 gee or so. You would get a nice, stable climb angle with a neutral stick after your initial nose up gee command to that attitude.

The problem is you are slowing down, and the jet is trying to maintain that gee. So the THS is being" trimmed" so that the neutral position of the stick is gonna command 0.87 gee. If you hold just a little bit of back angle/pressure for any length of time you will get a trimming THS that results in a command of 0.87 gee if you let go ( return to neutral) at 30 degrees pitch, less gee if at a higher attitude, more gee if at a lower attitude ( think 15 or 16 degrees nose up).

Secondly, the Airbus compensates for bank angle to maintain the gee required for level flight, so I don't have to "trim" a bit back in a turn. A climbing turn with a positive pitch attitude is another thing, and I would have to look at the functions and how they are integrated.
++++++++++++++++++++++

One thing that has bugged me is the role of AoA in the Airbus control laws/modes. Instead of "limits" throughout, I see warnings and advisories and such for some modes versus "limits" . It also bugs me that some of the documents state that "speed" is involved in the "laws" versus a pure AoA, and that some of the AoA warnings are inhibited according to speed. I fully understand this when on the ground, but otherwise, the jet flys like the ones I learned to fly in a dim past. Increase AoA and the nose pitches up. Keep demanding that AoA or increasing it, and the nose pitches down and maybe some bad things occur.