PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Industrial Action at Flybe?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2011, 17:19
HidekiTojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
assymetricdrift, When you joined flybe on the dash 8 you knew what you would earn or was it a surprise? What do you expect to earn? How much do you want the company to pay you?
No need to be facetious - Yes we all knew what the salary was for a given time frame i.e When I made the decision to join Flybe I knew that the salary was XXX and that the year after it would be XXX now that was it. There was no published pay scale for 2011,2012,2013 etc

Now almost everyone who has a job expects a pay rise annually in line with inflation most also expect a rise to reward loyalty and hard work. Now we as pilots at Flybe are on an incremental scale which I believe is our right we expect this, it's always been there and should remain permanently or until an appropriate alternative is agreed upon.

As pilots we know that bigger airlines with bigger aircraft pay more money. This is a fact. Flybe's pay scales are based on a small airline (see loganair pay ppjn). Flybe has over 700 pilots and approx 60 aircraft. they are no longer a shed sized airline. The directors earn £250-£600,000 per annum basic.

Therefore we as pilots expect our pay to reflect this. Also our colleagues over at Easyjet, Ryanair, Aer Lingus, British Airways, Jet2, Monarch, Virgin, Thomas Cook, and Thompson all earn way more than we do. Now yes they are bigger more profitable airlines so that's only right BUT our pay and lifestyle does not compare as it now should, we should be closer to them. The company are attempting to lower and not improve our t&c's. OK trainers and PBM's don't care as they earn £80k and are where they want to be. The rest of us are not. Most FO's are no in the base they want and are struggling financially. The financial struggle was expected but inflation is making it almost impossible. It needs to be sorted, this is why we have BALPA.

Yes our wages are less than other airlines but have you not noticed several other airlines are also going down the same route. Pilots wages are getting less relatively. There are only a handful of jobs out there. Its not good but at some point we need to reach agreement. I would prefer flying than end up redundant!
The deal on offer from flybe at the moment exceeds the other airlines.
Easyjet have just had 4% on basic, 5% on extras. BA have had 4%. Ryanair have had nothing, (they are non union).

I would prefer flying than end up redundant!
This attitude will eventually mean you will get paid NOTHING.