PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2011, 17:12
PEI_3721

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Saturn V, I suspect that we are interpreting words differently.
What I posted was “the crew had seen and planned / turned to deviate around weather”, which was based on details released so far.
I agree we do not know what exactly the crew saw, but circumstantial evidence suggests that the aircraft was not ‘in’ the core of a CB, although it was in an area of convective weather.
In this regard I disagree with Tim Vasquez’s conclusion “This indicates that the aircraft was flying through convective clouds at about 0150 UTC and again from 0158 UTC onward.” Implying, (my interpretation) flying through a Cb core.
From personal experience – ‘in’ and around Cbs – I would be very surprised if the reported conversations and aircraft parameters originate from a situation in a Cb core, but transiting an area of convective clouds would be understandable.
IMHO, the aircraft was below a cloud layer or in high level cirrus (anvil) in a situation similar to that shown in VH-EBA Incident (picture on page 11) where there were high cloud tops in an area of convective weather – a classic ice crystal situation.