PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future of Qantas in jeopardy: Joyce (Merged)
Old 10th Jun 2011, 07:07
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
FGD:

Sunfish,

Even you would know that profitability in the past does not guarantee profitability in the future.

The essence of the Qantas position is that there will be no future profit unless current costs (pilot salaries) can be dramatically reduced.

From the Qantas perspective, this is the whole point of the issue.

There is no evidence on this thread (or any of the dozen others) that anybody actually grasps this important little detail.

No future profit = no future job. It is that simple.

If you think Joyce is lying, then just sit back and watch what happens to your job.
If the entire profitability of Qantas pivoted around maintaining the purchasing power of Pilots and engineers wages, I would have either slashed my wrists or run for the exits long ago.

The story of Qantas is one of Mis - investment and bad management decisions and they go back Ten years, and the continue to make the same mistakes - spending when they should be saving, and penny pinching when they should be investing.

The bonus driven culture of the place has resulted in managers adopting very short time horizons and optimising management decisions with respect to their own prosperity, not the company's.

The writing is already on the wall since the LCC?Legacy divide is already breaking down as the LCC's discover their model is unsustainable and the "Legacy carriers" become more cost conscious. .. And what is Qantas doing? Fighting battles with unions!!! This i so 1970's!!!! Talk about fighting with the tactics of the last war!

If the Qantas Board and senior management are not removed it is going to go under. The APA bid was a disaster on too many levels to even begin to discuss, then their is the complete lack of trust between management and workforce, epitomised by this pig headed group think attitude about "Legacy airlines".

FFS, get the institutional shareholders to talk to the behavioural guys at Melb and Syd business schools if you don't believe me - talk to Phil Boas about "meta messages"* He would have afield day with Jackson, Clifford, Dixon and Joyces pronouncements.

* Meta message = the message you are sending when you don't think you are sending a message.