PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2011, 04:30
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PickyPerkins;
Is this comment up to date?
PJ2 ... where minimal loss of altitude has been not only stressed but is an actual IFR-ride failure if more than nnn feet are lost in the recovery!! .....
Is this statement up to date?
I can't say one way or another. It was the standard when I did any stall work for the initial ride when getting checked out on a new type. I recall that minimal altitude loss was required in the approach to stall and recovery. We never entered the stall. I am aware of SAFOs. Whether the SAFO has made it into training regimes and FAA standards is not known. I don't mean anything by that except we don't know if what the SAFO says has actually been incorporated into current stall training, standards and checking regimes.

Edit: I believe that the current Canadian Air Regulations, Section VII, Commercial Air Services, (equivalent to Pt 121 of the FARS I believe) and associated Standards for checking and training as well as related to the Pilot Proficiency Check ride, at this link, state in part, the following (my bolding):

Ex. 8 - Stall (Ex. 8 - Stall - Transport Canada)

Objectives

To teach:

recognition of the symptoms of an approaching stall
recognition of power-off stalls in both the landing and cruise configurations
positive and smooth recovery, while maintaining directional control, with a minimum loss of altitude

Date Modified: 2010-09-28
Commercial Pilot Flight Test Items - Ex. 12 Stall (Flight Test Items - Ex. 12 Stall - Transport Canada)

Please note: Sections that are highlighted in Yellow indicate new topic areas or important changes in criteria or policy.
Aim

To determine that the candidate can recognize the indications of the approach to a stall, enter a full stall and accomplish an effective recovery, without excessive loss of altitude.

Description

The candidate will be asked to perform one stall manoeuvre such as an approach to landing stall, cross-control stall, overshoot stall or a climbing or descending turn stall. The examiner will specify the aeroplane configuration for the stall scenario. Intentional stalls will be entered at an operationally safe altitude that allows recovery at or above 2,000 feet AGL, or the minimum height recommended by the manufacturer, whichever is higher.

Performance Criteria

Assessment will be based on the candidate’s ability to:

complete appropriate safety precautions before entering a stall;

establish the configuration and power as specified by the examiner;

transition smoothly to a flight condition that will induce a stall;

recognize the onset of the stall by identifying the first aerodynamic buffeting or decay of control effectiveness;

stall the aeroplane;

maintain directional control;

promptly and effectively recover using control applications in the correct sequence;

avoid a secondary stall and excessive altitude loss;

if applicable, retract flaps as recommended by the manufacturer and retract landing gear after a positive rate of climb is established; and

return to the altitude, heading and airspeed specified by the examiner

Date Modified: 2010-05-20
(e) Manoeuvres

(i) At least one steep turn in each direction with a bank angle of 45° and a change in heading of at least 180° but not more than 360°;

(ii) Approaches to stalls

For the purpose of this manoeuvre the required approach to a stall is reached when there is a perceptible buffet or other response to the initial stall entry.

The following approaches to the stall are required during initial and upgrade PPC's:

(A) one in the take-off configuration, except where a zero-flap take-off configuration is normally used in that model and type of aeroplane;

(B) one in a clean configuration; and

(C) one in a landing configuration.

One of the approaches to stall shall be performed while in a turn with a bank angle of between 15° and 30°.

(iii) Steep turns and approach to stalls are not required when the PPC is conducted using either a LOFT scenario, a scripted PPC or a fly-by wire aeroplane; and
(amended 2000/12/01; no previous version)

(A) for an initial PPC on aeroplane type, steep turns and approach to stalls have been satisfactorily demonstrated during initial training;

(B) for a semi-annual or an annual PPC:

(I) steep turns and approach to stalls that are required in the applicable annual training syllabus have been satisfactorily demonstrated during this training; or

(II) steep turns and approach to stalls are not required in the applicable annual training syllabus.

Date Modified: 2011-05-31
Apparently, things haven't changed here, but we need to take care regarding any conclusions. Again we have no data from this accident, but we do have a history of loss of control through stalling. We can't ride off in all directions under full sail but the trend is disturbing and requires timely, specific study in my view.

Edit: As a last entry on this Picky, this document, COMMERCIAL AND BUSINESS AVIATION ADVISORY CIRCULAR No. 0247, 2005.08.24 seems to follow along the same lines as the SAFO document you have cited. So this is at the level of an Advisory Circular at present.

Last edited by Jetdriver; 10th Jun 2011 at 10:43.