PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2011, 23:57
Turbine D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thrust

PJ2,

In the most recent discussions regarding pilot actions, stall warnings, etc., the one thing that isn't mentioned much are thrust settings. Recall I had asked about the N1% differences between normal cruise at Mach 0.83 and reduced turbulence N1% for Mach 0.80. The questions I had behind this has to do with how this may have affected subsequent events. With a reduced N1% at cruise at 35K, for some reason (probably pitot tube blockage due to ice crystals), the AP/AT suddenly dropped out in a probable turbulent atmosphere. I am assuming when this happened, the engine thrust level remained at that for turbulence penetration, whether or not thrust lock occurred, as the pilot had prior reduced the thrust setting manually. If so, then the first input from the PF was to correct a roll situation while inputting a nose up command with the side stick. As the turbulence thrust setting was for level flight, would the aircraft given weight, COG and reduced speed be more vulnerable to a potential stall situation more rapidly? We know that speed was deteriorating rapidly after the nose up side stick command, but perhaps the pilots didn't know this. However, when the stall warning activated, my thoughts are that it was genuine, the aircraft was saying, "Keep doing what you are doing and we are going to stall". From what data has been released by the BEA, the throttle levers were never moved manually until such time later in the sequence when the throttles were moved to TOGA.

What are your thoughts on this?