PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First solo (ppl fixed wing)
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2011, 23:32
riverrock83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My log book says 15 hours but that involves 3 different planes (Cherokee, Bolkow, SA Bulldog) and I've done a few other things such as intro to aeros I also had a number of trial lessons before really starting training.
I've also had the opportunity to sit beside lots of others who were hour building or just keeping current, and to sit in the back of the Cherokee during other people's lessons.
I had the landings pretty consistent in the Bolkow until it became unavailable but its taken me a while to re-learn in a Bulldog - very different aircraft!
I'm not watching the hours - I'm just enjoying being up. I don't think its a competition! Last time I was up, the wind was further off the runway than we thought and although I could get to the runway consistantly, my instructor (rightly) thought that putting it on the (middle of the) runway was beyond me and so a waste of time.
I think you should aim high (pun intended) but remember to be patient and not push to be somewhere that you aren't. I'm really enjoying it - but if my first solo doesn't come till another 10 lessons - it will still be worth it .