PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AFAP (Federation) takes legal action against Jetstar
Old 9th Jun 2011, 22:56
breakfastburrito

Location: On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone is zero
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is not another industry in the world that does what we do. In fact if you mention it to another professional (banker/lawyer/doctor) it does not compute. They literally cannot understand the concept. To them the ability to move is what makes their career.
I'm not going to tackle the question of seniority rights & wrongs head on. What I will add is an empirical observation is that the seniority system seems to be reducing of its own accord, through an expansion of the contract market. Interestingly the now discredited jetstar contract seems to barely mention seniority. Even in the jetstar EBA, seniority is only a "major consideration", for promotions.

You may think that by getting rid of seniority you will be able to get an advantage over management, that is static thinking. Managers will never willing cede control over their workforce (human nature). They have already given us a glimpse of the new methods, which actually increases control - "debt servitude", where you owe your employer for your training.

This enhances their control, because managers can now play one pilot off against another for promotion, basings & equipment changes & "special contracts" & even termination.
One pilot job website indicates a bond of 15 years for AirAsia Cadet scholarships.

I am unaware of many bankers/lawyers/doctors who are bonded to their employer to pay for their training for any substantial length of time. Mostly they are able to use the taxpayer (HECS) system to fund their training, which gives them flexibility to change employers regularly, without having to fund a lump sum to buy themselves out of their contract.

Be careful what you wish for.