PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining circuit on base/final legs - Good or bad?
Old 9th Jun 2011, 22:06
davebowyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joining circuit on base/final legs - Good or bad?

G'day all

I'm a 60-hour student pilot (just one more cross-country dual to do, plus the PPL theory, then I'm ready for the PPL exam). On my first solo cross-country navigation exercise, I had an an interesting incident in the circuit at Wollongong Airport (YWOL) that got me thinking about the evident diversity of opinion on the safety/advisability of joining circuits on base or final legs.

I've described the incident fully in my blog post on it here, but what it boiled down to is this. I was on the downwind leg of my approach to land at YWOL, having joined the circuit mid-crosswind. While I was on late downwind, a Diamond made a "joining base" call on the YWOL CTAF and then cut right across my path, to all intents and purposes - as I truly believe - unaware that I was in the circuit. I didn't have to take evasive action, but it was pretty close - any closer to me and it would have been a real danger situation.

I checked out AIP on the subject and note that CASA does not expressly forbid the practice of joining circuits on the base leg, but does not "recommend" it. Similarly, I'm aware from my reading that straight-in approaches (joining final) are similarly regarded by CASA.

Obviously in some situations there might be good operational reasons why you'd need to join circuit on the base or final legs. But as a general practice, is it safe or advisable to do either?

My present thinking is "no", but I'd love to hear from some experienced voices on this topic.