PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2011, 22:00
JD-EE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PJ2 made a comment I hoped to elicit, "DO NOTHING was the correct response and that is the action which would have "prevented" the loss of control."

I also note that something like this had happened before to a fair number of planes that sailed through it with fine aplomb.

What might have been different with AF447 other than a different cast of characters? In my mind I don't picture pilots acting on whim or instant panic. (And the BEA highly edited release seems to indicate rationality all the way down.) Was there something the other planes had which saved them, like a bright Moon or another extra form of reference that reassured them? Or was something missing with AF447? Or did training simply break down?

(I seem to remember talk here about those rules being standard at the time of this accident. Wasn't some aspect of it changed to "always believe a stall warning?" Has a future problem been setup?)

As a note his roll input doesn't bother me. A strong enough pull on the stick to cause the plane to zoom 2000' like a marble rolled on the tabletop towards an incline (up and slower is the result) bothers me. So please let me ask, "if the controls really are sensitive enough that the "natural" bend of the wrist to correct a roll would also induce a climb?" I believe somebody remarked taht the sticks are mounted at a modest angle to vertical to accommodate human the restraints of the human skeleton. So that supposition of accidental input seems wrong. So I reask, "What made the PF decide he needed to climb? Might it be to avoid something and he forgot throttle was frozen? Might it be he thought there was an over speed condition and he needed to slow down immediately?"

Your UAS list comment is one we should enter formally into the record and discuss. It does appear to at least partially answer the above. 2000', however, seems to cost a tremendous amount of speed. I'd think 500' or 1000' would be about the limit of what you'd want to lose in a pull up action.

If this series of inputs and reactions still does not make any sense let's put a "post it flag" on that time and look at the other intervals in the release. I'm looking for actions or even stimuli that could be modified slightly to have eliminated or recovered from the bad situation that led to the crash.