PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where is Mr Guppy these days?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2011, 21:57
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It makes me uncomfortable contributing to this thread.
Me too.

What also makes me uncomfortable is the speculation on who Mr. Guppy (or the Gupster as I believe we started calling him) really is.

People all have their reasons for selecting a nickname on here, and thus preserving their anonimity somehow. Me personally, I don't want my current or future employer to stumble upon my 3000-odd posts on here, especially as some of them are made during obvious working hours.

If you add up some of my posts and make a few other connections, I'm pretty sure you can find my real name on the internet. But that assumes you start from the posts I made on here and start connecting the dots until you get to my real name. And I have no issues with revealing my name and e-mail address via PM if it comes to that. But if you google for my real name (like my current or future employer would do) I'm pretty sure you don't end up on PPRuNe. And I kind of like it that way.

Even though Mr. Guppy wasn't universally liked on here, I think we need to respect the fact that he chose a nickname for himself that protects his anonimity from the same sort of casual observation, and not speculate who he really is.