PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2011, 20:33
Lonewolf_50

Received 424 Likes on 266 Posts
Bear
I am not persuaded that the A330 needs additional design work. This accident is I believe, more basic than a hugely anomalous glitch might infer.

I don't think BUSS would have made much difference, nor the addition of steam gauges as "back-up".
1. If you are referring to my post on why you'd clip an AoA input, it was a defense of clipping AoA signal, as currently done, based on the audio warning heirarchy that PJ2 pointed out. This is a different tack than my earlier "why is AoA clipped below a given speed?" query. It made no sense to me to clip AoA signal below a given airspeed. (I suspect that discussions on that point were non trivial in the design process). The warning heirarchy provides some of the reasoning behind that design decision. There was doubtless other reasoning involved.

2. BUSS seems an interesting approach to a problem. No skin in that game.

3. Would an AoA gauge (steam or digital cockpit display) have been incorporated into the scan in this particular instance (and when would that have been practiced in the training syllabus?) ... my guess is that at least one scan got narrow pretty quickly ... but there's something more basic here.

If you don't train for a stall recovery on instruments (for reasons previously explained, to include sims that can't replicate it), what does a pilot finding himself in a stall have in his training background and experience to draw on in order to redirect his scan. His task chain requirement at that point, when stall is identified, is to change his instrument scan from
"flying and getting this bird to the airspeed and altitude I want" scan
to
"recover from stall in the goo" scan
to
"recover from unusual attitude (unstalled)" scan
to
"get back on course, speed, and altitude" scan.

The first scan, not trained, has to be made up on the fly.

Some of the folks here have for two years pointed out that you train to prevent a stall. There are some good reasons for that philosophy, given training limitations. The pitch and power refrain has been sung, like the Hey Jude chorus, since about June 2, 2009.

Considering what training can't be done, see sim limits, that song is number one on the hit parade of the remedy concert to be performed in due course ... but it won't be the only song to be sung.

Still chewing over gums' point on using g to direct control surface positions.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 9th Jun 2011 at 20:47.