PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOP's: Should we or shouldn't we?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2011, 19:24
S76Heavy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think I've ever had the pleasure of working for a CP who displayed signs of management training exceeding "how to work the file cabinet"..

Regarding SOPs: I like them and adhere to them, as they give a structure on how to handle different phases of flight. They also (well written ones, I give you that) give you some understanding of why you are doing what you are doing, when you are doing it.

Airmanship and captaincy may require you deviate from the SOP, which should be possible if you announce (MCC) you will do something "non-standard" and explain (time allowing) why. In that sense understanding is key to safety.

I like to be on the same sheet as the people I fly with. There is still room for individuality without inventing your own procedures; in fact I find after changing jobs that the SOPs gave me a good grasp of my new role in a new environment with new people.

The downside is that poor SOPs can be more of a safety hazard in two ways: you don't do what is best if you follow them, or you learn to disobey SOPs when you work around them.