PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2011, 18:34
Lonewolf_50

Received 424 Likes on 266 Posts
gladrag, isn't that AoA indexer only activated when the gear is down? (Memory faulty on that one ... maybe that depends on aircraft model ... )

Bear:
Wolf
you ask.... ".....What did the PF see? Where was his scan taking him..."
BEA..... "...The PITCH progressed beyond ten degrees, and the a/c started to climb......" (emphasis mine)
bear, I didn't ask what the FDR recorded, I asked what the pilot saw. Not necessarily one and the same. I am asking what had his attention. A scan can turn into a boresight under stress.

ChristiaanJ
What would you have said ???
Hard to say. Were I a copilot, and I saw the pilot climbing, and we were at a phase of flight meant to be straight and level, and he hadn't told me he was going to climb, I suspect I'd have said: "You are climbing." Maybe "Do you mean to be climbing?"

Even more likely, had I seen the climb, (and assuming AF SOP is similar to an old outfit of mine), I might have said, "Two hundred feet high and climbing" since assigned alt was FL 350 ...

But that's a guess.

I don't know what PNF was looking at. I've no idea what cue first caught his attention of something in the flight profile being "not quite right."
Unlike some well-known tennis players ...
I was thinking more along the lines of some standard CRM and copilot functions, not a Hollywood style set of emotive statements. Nor a grunt. (PS, pet peeve of mine, all that tennis grunting ...)
CRM does not always equate to being able to give an intelligble running commentary for your colleagues and the CVR... esopecially if you're confused yourself.
It's not tennis.....
I know it isn't tennis, having flown in mutiplace aircaft. I am not asking for running commentary. I am keenly aware of how little one says when one is catching up to an aircraft. (Been there) Maybe he said almost nothing.

I am interested in what cues he did, or didn't, respond to in executing copilot duties in support of his pilot.

What he said (as recorded on the CVR) may give a clue at which things in the cockpit he was looking at, and which things he brought to the attention of the flying pilot.

Or not. (You make a very good point! )

PJ2
LW_50;
Regarding what the PF saw...,
The parameter is certainly available and, optimistically, I would think it would be on the QAR, which of course is primarily used for FOQA/FDM analysis by the airline's safety department. A lot of other stuff will be there as well and being solid state it may have survived even in water.
Yes. My question includes "of all the things in front of him, what most caught his attention, or what group of things did he pay attention to?" He may or may not have communicated to his copilot what he did or didn't see, or what was his main concern, beyond "alternate law" and comments on the speeds that have been released ...

I have myself, while on instruments, had the whole instrument panel in front of me but had my world collapse into a form of tunnel vision where all I could "see" was attitude indicator, airspeed, VSI and Altitude ... barely heading ... I had to force the scan around ... as I fought vertigo. You could have asked me power setting and I'd not have been able to tell you, as I wasn't seeing it, it was where I had left it. You could have asked me AoA and I'd have had no idea.

The questions concerning the attitude, sideslip, altimeter and IVSI are good ones, and we need to understand what else the PNF saw and perhaps said. None of us here expect that this release was not closely vetted.
Aye.