PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOP's: Should we or shouldn't we?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2011, 17:58
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SOPs, Normal and Emergency Checklists

Sandy - for any of those colleagues out there who are offended by my attempt to spice-up the debate I apologise - really.

I am disappointed by the Emergency Procedures that populate the AW139 RFM. It is as if the author never actually left the training circuit during his deliberations. The QRH could have been a star document and may get there one day. It is full of errors and editorial gaffs but could be the basis of YOUR QRH if you take the trouble to re-write it, run it past your NAA, get the tick in the box and then keep it updated. To be fair to AW the best set of procedures are those drafted to meet the demands of your specific work environment. One man's harmless engine chip-light on a 120 mile leg to the offshore platform is another's nightmare in the middle of a night SAR job. Only YOU can do that. A good ECL would be divided into Immediate Actions, Subsequent Actions and Considerations. and the last two sections should be written to meet the context of your role and 'worst case scenario'.

Shawn

I hope my comments above provide a way forward when confronted with non-sensicle content in the RFM. Write the desired protocol, get the tick in the box from your NAA or OEM and Robert's your mother's brother.

EN48

I like your approach a lot. Can you publish your material for the benefit of others maybe? Whilst working in Brazil we had to provide SMS for companies with 20+ aircraft and for companies with just one. Not easy, but our resident expert Steve Walters did a fine job and provided regular support to all of them to help get the projects up and running. Certainly it is tough for single pilot ops to work with the discipline required but good initial training backed by a sound safety ethos will help a lot.

Zudhir

Very interesting reading. It reinforces my view that it helps to get the right people in the first place but also highlights the hard work management must put in to keep the rules and procedures relevant and up-to-date. Flight Ops Data Monitoring (FOQA) will help with the supervision if managed correctly but other monitoring systems will be needed in those aircraft not equipped with CVFDRs,

One Last Point

Our colleague Nick Lappos once said I believe that "There are Pilots and there are Stick Wigglers and the difference between the two is that Pilots have the ability to demonstrate 'airmanship'." This is a very necessary quality in our business for as many of us know only too well the helicopter has not read the RFM and many a malfunction will not appear in the RFM.

G.

Last edited by Geoffersincornwall; 9th Jun 2011 at 18:51.