PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2011, 17:06
bearfoil

Without question, the role of bias is part of every investigation. It is a part of every human being who is not perfect. Better it should be established, and weighed (also with bias), than denied, whether naively or slyly.

Commercial carriage is a capital venture subject to the whims of market, but mostly to the realities of competition.

An example, an excellent example, is the Thales Probes. I will apologize for calling them "Junk", but only insofar as it may have offended a friend. Here, there is no argument in evidence that the research and performance were faulty, that these devices should be accorded a benefit of doubt, or other accommodation. They did not perform according to expectation, an expectation that was made with warranty, and involved the possibility of killing passengers. This is not proven. Instead, mitigation in the training of operators was devised, and approved.

How many are then guilty of at least poor judgment, if not criminal culpability? In hind sight, the proof appears stronger than than the "Defense".

"Blame" and "responsibility" are cousins. "Fault finding and Fact finding are brothers.

How distracting does it become that some would excuse the "discipline" by saying "we don't do this"? No one is excused, and if feelings are ruffled, that is a good thing.

People are dead, and thus far, it is becoming clear that no "Act of God" is responsible, and some may be responsible in some way for these terrible losses. In my opinion, it is a good argument that preserves the emotions in play here.

My bias is a matter of record. The worst thing that could happen is for this accident to fade. In its loss of currency and care would be the continuation of a way of "doing business" that is repugnant to those who care about people before profit.

Does this happen? Can we change it? I do not know. But if we give in to the pressure to keep the current methods in play, these souls will never forgive us.