PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight deck - CRM ?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2011, 16:27
Young Paul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight deck - CRM ?

I heard a rumour ... about a captain on a European airline flying a longhaul route who grumbled to the cabin crew because they brought the starter for his meal at the same time as the main course.

If this is true, then I would like to make two points. Firstly, maintaining the "professionalism" of the job is nothing to do with having a first class service in the flight deck: pilots who behave like this make us a laughing stock and worse amongst normal people, who conclude that somewhere around 1960 they lost contact with the real world. Secondly, the role of the cabin crew is fundamentally safety within a team that includes the pilots. Some passengers pay for a premium level of service, and the airline trains the crew in accordance with this. The cabin crew are not there to wait on the flight deck. The fact that they don't shouldn't be seen as a threat to your command authority: the fact that you expect them to betrays a fundamental lack of understanding of the nature of the airline operation.

However, I seriously doubt that a pilot with this attitude to his cabin crew would bother reading a thread on here under a CRM heading.