PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOP's: Should we or shouldn't we?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2011, 15:46
Sandy Toad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G. Wow! Luddite and now Dinosaur! I think this name calling will alienate the very people you profess to want to change.

What I saw on the other thread, despite all the head banging smileys, was not people saying they were disobeying SOPs or the RFM - only one perhaps throwing in a height limitation where there isn't one - but questions about why things were stated, what facts were available and questions about how others operated.

Questions are healthy.

Pilots (and children) respond better when told why they should do things.
This can often lead to healthy discussion and changes to SOPs.

Manufacturers are not infallible otherwise we'd never need to amend Flight Manuals and RFMs.

Why should a Manufacturer's chief test pilot with no civil experience or any idea of our role decide "You don't need that Audio Warning so we disabled it". We refused to blindly follow the Manufacturer who was relying purely on this one opinion and we had it changed back by them. (Not AW)

How many of the mistakes/omissions in the AW139 Flight Manual/RFMs were pointed out to you by Customer Pilots rather than Company Pilots?

Questions and searching for reasons why we do things should never be constrained. Debate is healthy surely.

No matter how good the SOPs, Flight Manuals, RFMs are, there will always be situations which are not covered and where Captains have to be Captains - that is what we are paid for.

I will always think about what I do in the air and discuss it on the ground.

If that makes me a Luddite or Dinosaur fine!