PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Large Turbo Fan Containment Tests.
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2011, 14:19
Turbine D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bird Testing

Lomapaseo,

The bird testing and continued run on requirement comes from this section of certification testing:

PART 33--AIRWORTHINESS STANDARDS: AIRCRAFT ENGINES
Sec. 33.76 Bird ingestion.
(4) Ingestion of a large flocking bird under the conditions prescribed in this paragraph must not cause any of the following:
(i) A sustained reduction of power or thrust to less than 50 percent of maximum rated takeoff power or thrust during the run-on segment specified under paragraph (d)(5)(i) of this section.
(ii) Engine shutdown during the required run-on demonstration specified in paragraph (d)(5) of this section.
(iii) The conditions specified in paragraph (b)(3) of this section.
(5) The following test schedule must be used:
(i) Ingestion followed by 1 minute without power lever movement.
(ii) Followed by 13 minutes at not less than 50 percent of maximum rated takeoff power or thrust.
(iii) Followed by 2 minutes between 30 and 35 percent of maximum rated takeoff power or thrust.
(iv) Followed by 1 minute with power or thrust increased from that set in paragraph (d)(5)(iii) of this section, by between 5 and 10 percent of maximum rated takeoff power or thrust.
(v) Followed by 2 minutes with power or thrust reduced from that set in paragraph (d)(5)(iv) of this section, by between 5 and 10 percent of maximum rated takeoff power or thrust.
(vi) Followed by a minimum of 1 minute at ground idle then engine shutdown. The durations specified are times at the defined conditions. Power lever movement between each condition will be 10 seconds or less, except that power lever movements allowed within paragraph (d)(5)(ii) of this section are not limited, and for setting power under paragraph (d)(5)(iii) of this section will be 30 seconds or less.
I know the GE90 engine was tested to this requirement (composite fan blades with Ti leading edge wrap arounds) and the test engine continued to run at full power for the duration of the requirements. The fan blades were virtually undamaged upon inspection after testing. The weight of the bird is determined by the area of the fan inlet. I think for the GE90, the weight was ~ 8 pounds.