PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie Vmca question
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2011, 08:43
27/09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FlyingForFun

Nothing you have posted justifies repeatedly going to Vmc, at least for some of the aircraft that I fly. The benefits do not outweigh the potential dangers.

Full rudder travel; I agree to a small extent you have a point here. However if the student is on the habit of not knowing that they have full rudder travel it's very likely that in the heat of the momemt, if they were to encounter Vmc, they would not apply full rudder travel anyway. It is much better to have CFIT if that is the outcome than an uncontrolled departure/crash.

Also I would never use the rudder trim in a Vmc demo, you're not going to have time in most Vmc situations to have applied any rudder trim.

Experiencing the effects that differing techniques have on Vmc. Certainly not worth demonstrating in my opinion. The effect of 1/2 ball/5 degrees can be demonstrated very effectively by the effect on rate of climb.

For me psychology doesn't enter the equation. The only thing that matters is that when direction can no longer be maintained with rudder inputs that the correct recovery procedure for loss of control at Vmc is carried out.

Big Pistons Forever
Airspeed control to maximize the anemic single engine rate of climb of your typical light twin, is the only way you will survive a low altitude engine failure and IMO is not emphasized enough in ME training.
Correct, and if the airspeed was managed properly there would be no VMC accidents.