PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2011, 07:14
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With that in mind Murphy, I am willing to have the stall warning go away at 60kts if you are say 1000' above ground level and not replace it with something else. Above 1000' AGL I'd expect the stall warning to change as airspeed drops below 60 knots, perhaps to a shrill woman screaming, "You're gonna die!" or something else equally attention getting.

It is still a stall in that the surfaces are producing no meaningful lift.
You miss my point! The Stall warning, quite correctly, demands immediate, and usually unquestioning, reaction from the crew - and that reaction may endanger the aircraft and occupants - see NTSB Report L1011 JFK

The Stall Warning is essentially driven by a wind driven vane - that vane needs a certain airspeed to produce an acceptable level of accuracy. 60K seems to me, bearing in mind the types I fly / have flown, a typical sort of value where such an instrument will be unreliable below, and in a modern type, it's outputs inhibited.

Other types might use WoW to "isolate" the Stall Warning. Maybe a good idea - however, if you have ever experienced a "false" WoW indication, in a modern electric jet it also is very confusing, and you now have no Stall Warning either.

Now, we can argue forever whether in this, fairly incomprehensible, accident (in which we yet know little) whether a much more complex system that somehow determined the lack of IAS was incorrect / unrealistic and so, on this occasion only, the Stall Warning should have continued, we shall see.