PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2011, 05:54
RWA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iceman 50

Altitude is the least of your concerns at that point in time, ATTITUDE and POWER are the life savers. If you have stalled, you MUST unstall the wing and add power progressively to be able to counteract any pitch up due to the low slung engines.
Agree, Iceman50. I wonder, though, whether that procedure (attitude first, then power) was 'in force' at the time of AF447? I ask because I recall reading this a while back - a 'new' approach (well, actually, the 'old' one) published by Airbus in 2010, long after the AF447 accident? According to the poster, and many of those who replied to him, previous advice was along the lines of 'full power and seek to maintain assigned altitude'?

http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/41537...procedure.html

As for never being trained in stalling, you never train to stall in the simulator, but most regulators require approach to the stall recovery training as part of the Type rating requirements.
Thanks for that information. Obviously you couldn't have pilots in training practise actual stalls in a real transport category aircraft, but up to now I'd been assuming that some sort of 'simulated stall' could be practised in the simulator.

So, on the face of it, pilots can only be taught 'stall avoidance,' and there's no way to train them in actual 'stall recovery' - except, of course, that they'll have practised it in light aircraft in their early flying lessons?