PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2011, 01:59
WilyB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The whole idea of the sim is it will do exactly what the plane would in the real world....
Daddy,

I am sure you are correct, and with my 0 vs. your 26K hours of flight SIM who am I to argue, but the Airbus and Boeing actual test pilots appear to have a very different point of view.

USE OF SIMULATORS

We manufacturers were very concerned over the types of manoeuvres being flown in simulators and the conclusions that were being drawn from them. Simulators, like any computer system, are only as good as the data that goes into them. That means the data package that is given to the simulator manufacturer. And we test pilors do not deliberately lose control of our aircraft just to get data for the simulator. And even when that happens, one isolated incident does not provide much information because of the very complicated equations that govern dynamic manoeuvres involving non
linear aerodynamic and inertia effects.

The complete data package includes a part that is drawn from actual flight tests, a part that uses wind tunnel data, and the rest which is pure extrapolation. If should be obvious that conclusions about aircraft behaviour can only be drawn from the parts of the flight envelope that are based on hard data. This in fact means being nol far from the centre of the flight envelope; the pari that is used in normal service. It does not cover the edges of the envelope. I should also add that most of the data actually collected in flight is from quasi-static manoeuvres. Thus, dynamic manoeuvring is not very well represented.
http://www.ntsb.gov/Events/2001/AA58...its/240005.pdf