PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2011, 20:11
NARVAL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to all for serious and honest thoughts and research on those sad events.
What is lacking in the last BEA report ? Almost everything. We need, at least, during the fall of the aircraft, the different control laws coming up then probably going away. We need to know which computers went off and which stayed with the crew. We need to know more about the aerodynamics of the plane (if, let us say, knowing what happened, therefore ready to act, unlike the crew, you rolled full down manual trim and reduced thrust to idle, would it work ?)
Even with the FCOM and some experience and technical knowledge, I am sure we cannot really know how for example the stall warning works. Only the engineers at Airbus or the Maintenance, with detailed wiring diagrams, can dig in this particular situation. Sometimes Speed, sometimes AOA, sometimes both, this alarm manages to work (Perpignan) with blocked AOA sensors…I flew on planes when we had a three months qualification course (yes, three months !) so then we could say we really knew the plane (which was far simpler).
But then, there were flight engineers, god bless them. On the A 320 I had a three days course on the systems, and no on line instructor ever had the courage to ask me a question on them…I probably would have done no better than the crew, but my first reaction, surprised by this unlikely event, would have been…to do nothing. The less you touch the stick, at high altitude, the better the plane flies. This rather stupid remark (forgive me) does not solve the questions, but might be of great help to youngsters on those planes. Sit on your hands, watch, wait…