PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Want To Fly But Fear
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2011, 19:59
GROUNDHOG

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I was 35 years in the airline business ( management not a pilot) and flew regularly without incident.I leased and sold Boeings, Airbus's and just about everything else. I introduced my daughter to the business and she flew as cabin crew for many years and would have become a commercial pilot had motherhood not come along sooner! WOULD I PUT THE LIFE OF MY OWN DAUGHTER AT RISK IF I THOUGHT FLYING WAS DANGEROUS?

My son, who has no fear in many ways, like you just hated the thought of flying even though he understood it technically, so eventually we convinced him to take a short domestic flight and then a slightly longer one within Europe.

Two years later and we have all just returned from meeting up in Barbados, a 9 hour flight, ironically on Virgin Atlantic, we had a great holiday and whilst flying will never be his favourite pastime he is so glad he took that first little step. He has flown several times now and is ready for the next one!

Industry experts can try to convince you Virgin and Airbus are great and as safe as it gets, that is just stating a simple fact, you have to build your own confidence and a small step is the best way to start.

Do it, just do it and welcome to the World.