PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Britain's £12bn Overseas Aid Programme
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2011, 19:16
Halton Brat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tourist, thank you for your considered & most intelligent post, a veritable micro-tutorial in the field of international politics, in which you are clearly a Don.

I'm a bit pushed for time here, but briefly:

1. The primary duty of HMG is the defence of the Realm; without this, all else stands for nought.

2. I spent almost half my life in pursuit of the above; this gives me a vote on this subject.

3. If you don't understand/are not aware of the decimation of UK Armed Forces & the commitments they now face, I can't be bothered to explain it to you.

4. At such times as this, I am grieved to see UK taxpayer funding directed to nations such as India, for reasons already mentioned. The level of corruption in many recipient nations is such that much of this money is syphoned off before it reaches those in need.

5. Until UK PLC is in better financial shape, & is able to adequately maintain its' prime responsibilities, I advocate a policy of 'disaster relief' only.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to explain if & why you would 'sign-off' the planned £300m grant to India, for example?

HB

Last edited by Halton Brat; 8th Jun 2011 at 19:27.