PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orient Thai/One-Two-Go Inquest Findings: "Flagrant Disregard for Passenger Safety"
Old 8th Jun 2011, 17:45
View From The Ground

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picking a Safe Airline

I suspect that the coroner despite his lack of technical knowledge got the overall summary of this particular Airline right. All life is risk and I guess each of us has individual thresholds that we don't want to cross. To be fair to the guy who stated European Airlines whilst those of us who work in the Industry may have a fair idea of what is or is not a safe or very safe Airline the layman cannot make the judgement so easily. I think most of us if picking an Airline we did not know well would choose one from a European Country, or the US as oppose to for example Africa or South America. There are plenty of stats available on the net for those who want to research, but even then the decision is more complex, accidents against flights conducted, accidents against hours flown, etc. I will fly with most Airlines in Europe, US, Australasia, be a little selective in and around SE Asia (where I live) and very selective in Africa and South America.
Overall flying is super safe so even when flying on a lesser quality airline your overall odds are pretty damn good compared to most activities in life. So fret less and fly more!