PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2011, 17:26
bearfoil

Garage Years

Yes
. The point is that the pilot's first response to loss of auto pilot (not autoflight), may have been input while he's thinking the drop was into Normal Law, as would be the case if the auto pilot was lost due to its inability to trim within its own parameters. BEA is vague (eg: "From 2:10:05"), attributing the following displays and aspects without a specific time stamp. So if the pilot pulls the stick back, or, more importantly, it is deflected into a climbing Pitch inadvertently, then the continuous increase in Pitch, is inadvertent, and the increase in Pitch IS automatic, since the pilot is not expecting a climb, but the THS is trimming for it, and since the pressure is continuous, the Plane gains Pitch attitude inadvertently.

The Stick is an immediate unknown to the Pilot who starts to fly, but hasn't had a chance to assess the a/c orientation, and existing trimout. Rolling left may have been the only input he wished to make, but the third quadrant of the stick's deflection disc could have been entered by mistake.

This is extremely important if the AutoPilot let go due to its mechanical and aerodynamic limits being reached, and not merely due to AD rejects? We do not know that the AD losses were concurrent with a/p dropout, only that BEA reports the events w/o times, except for a starting point, eg: 2:10:05.

I am saying that if ICE was not the cause of discrepant reads, but perhaps attitude, aspect, or local flow were, it would explain what happened even more simply than what is generally accepted, absent the record.

I honestly don't mean to incite. I also don't have any conclusions to offer. What I think is important, and may well remain important even after the Final, is that certainty may be impossible, and mere Likelihood may have to suffice.

apologies for (perhaps) overly assertive style.

edit for GY you say: ":...Can anyone expand on what happens in the case of unreliable airspeed with respect to the stall warning..."

If I read Nigel correctly: "The Aircraft deals with it"

"...First of all, AIRSPEED UNRELIABLE may only be, indeed probably is, "crew assessed" not aircraft (if the aircraft assesses it it will "deal" with it)...."