PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2011, 15:36
RWA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have reviewed most of the posts and have concluded that we should all wait for BEA to review the data and, at least, provide a complete time-line and FDR traces.
Just so long as we don't have to wait as long as last time, goldfish85.

If you've noted my post 1486 above, the BEA analysed a remarkably-similar accident that befell an Air New Zealand A320 in November 2008. But, at first, they issued only a pretty 'non-committal' report that very closely paralleled the recent 'note' on AF447. It wasn't until September 2010 - many months after the AF447 accident - that they issued their 'final report' on the 2008 ANZ accident.

OK - I'll stick my neck out. I think that the evidence provided by the Air New Zealand accident, plus AF447, already provides enough evidence to point to an urgent need to review both aircraft systems (particularly the operation of stall warnings, and such things as the THS 'default mode') and pilot training (particularly the difference between 'stall avoidance' and 'stall recovery').

And that such measures should be embarked upon next week at the latest. NOT in a year's time or more, when the BEA eventually issues its final report.

On the face of it, as things stand, the same sort of accident could happen again tomorrow?

Last edited by RWA; 8th Jun 2011 at 16:29.