PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2011, 15:32
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I'm airborne - I'd like the warning to be available all the time please
OK - even when the spec/manufacturer of the vane says the IAS is way below the validity of the vane's spec? I'd rather not...

Please go back to your basic training... if you are a pilot? The Stall Warning is a symptom (one of) the incipient stall - a "warning sign" as such. You react to it, but preferably prior to it, by flying the aircraft away from the stall. You, I hope, do not, when the warning goes away, say "oh that's all right then".

not as hazardous as the warning being inhibited when stalled - apparently
Cannot see where you get that from at all? We have no analysis from the BEA, and if the stall warning went off once, if only briefly, it brought the crew's attention to the situation and they should have been 100% sorting that out.

If we have go airline crews who recover from a stall purely in reaction to, and only while, the warning is going off, and consider recovery complete when it silences, we have a bigger problem that I thought NB this is not saying this what the AF crew did, just a reaction to your post.

do you think you might have had a better chance if the stall warning was still sounding?
No idea... but that is not relevant. We need to design as robust and reliable a system as experience shows we need - not redesign whole systems based on a release (unanalysed) of some data on one accident that will, inevitably, have a multitude of causal factors and recommendations.