PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Britten Norman Islanders [Love em or Hate em?]
Old 8th Jun 2011, 08:37
Exascot
Registered User **

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Para Dropping

I was para dropping at Weston on the Green in G-WOTG turbine islander. I believe it was the first of its type to have a sliding door fitted so the loonies could leap out. The exit point of the day from 10,000' was over the town of Bicester. The system was that the Jump Master (JM) would slide the door forward onto a catch and after the 'passengers' had jumped out the pilot would pull a release handle and the door would slide back into place with the airflow. I pulled the handle but the door didn't go into place. Neither was it along side the cockpit where it rested when open. The stop had broken and it had carried on along the rails straight off the aircraft to follow the parachutists down. It floated down like a leaf. It was such a good spot by the JM that instead of landing in Bicester high street it landed right in the middle of the DZ - undamaged. We replaced the stop, fitted the door back on and continued operations.