PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft you love and hate to fly ...
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2011, 01:06
Al E. Vator

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Slight deviation re the original question but.....

Which aircraft would you suggest to own?

With 3 kids and missus (none of whom are massively keen on flying and thus need to be kept in some sort of comfort!) I'll need at least a 6-seater. Preferably I don't want a boring aircraft. It's bloody expensive these days but flying is meant to be fun!

I keep coming back to the A36, Navajo/Navajo CR or C340 for various reasons. Obviously budgetary considerations need to be allowed for and maintenance issues are a big factor. ETR and airframe hours are a major factor too.

Buying the thing is just the start. It's the ongoing expenses that I really need to think hard about. Yes I have heard that if it flies, floats or f***s - rent it! However with my experience so far aircraft aren't too bad - they don't rapidly depreciate like cars and they can provide access to the world that is otherwise impossible, almost whenever you want. Yeah ok I'm probably a romantic when it comes to a/c but I aint when it comes to forking out paper from the wallet unneccesarily!

I've flown heaps of different a/c (from DH82 to 747) and currently fly one of those electric European things with sidesticks - nice enough but not entirely exciting. Ironically the aircraft I'd like I've never flown, hence your advice appreciated..........

Preferred Candidates:
A36: Pros: Build quality, numbers in service, current production, club seating. Cons: Apparently a bit pricey to work on, engine compartment a bugger to access? Purchase price high (for post-83 upgrade models) compared to alternatives from Piper and Cessna.

Navajo: Pros: Heaps around, especially in the US: Got to watch total hours etc. Great pax comfort. Panther mods seem fantastic Cons: Overkill for family of 5 plus occasional grandparent! Build quality and/or accident history needs watching too.

C340: Pros: Cabin, pressurisation. A and RAM models really brilliant with VG's giving extra capacity that basic models lacked. Cons: Pressurisation! Not really necessary in Aus. The late models (1983/4) are dogs apparently.

Practical Alternatives:
C206/210: Great aircraft to fly but too squeezy in the back. Missus not too keen on high-wing.

C303 Crusader: Cheap enough though not many built. Havent flown one. Pilots ambivalent about handling qualities?

Chieftan: Too big for the job but there are some gorgeous low-hour a/c for sale in the US now. A crowd called 'Lock and Key' produce a real beauty.

Lance/Ch 6: A bit boring? Affordable though.
Saratoga: Also boring and new ones very pricey. If paying that much why not get an A36?
Seneca II or III: Good rear space and very affordable. Some have been flogged in training and they are also a bit boring. But they do get you from A to B fine.

B58: Love one but too expensive (esp post-83 models)

C310: Rear seat comfort a bit of an issue. Getting a bit old now too.

Impractical Alternatives:
Cessna 400 series: SID's issues. Spars etc give cause for concern.
Merlin - reading the Metro posts convinced me of that!!
Queen Air - obvious reasons
Cirrus: Plastic and expensive.
Malibu: Not so good for regional Australian aistrips and still expensive.
Duke: obvious reasons too.
King Air C90: I don't have that sort of $. It would have to go online somewhere to justify its existence. More headaches than I'd prefer!
Cheyenne 1 or 2: As above for King Air but seem a great aircraft for the $ these days. Who knows what the future of Avgas is but Avtur is here for a while and these cheaper turbines (esp with Garretts with higher TBO than PT6's) may well be a good investment. A Cheyenne 4LS with the Garretts is just too pricey sadly.
Beech 18: Right configuration. Right engines! Maintenance issues and fuel consumption something of a worry sadly.
Citation 1; I'm dreamin. Actually cheap to purchase but ongoing expenses give me nightmares.
Caravan: Still very expensive.
Anyhow, ideas and suggestions much appreciated!