PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A nagging question before my GST...
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2011, 21:46
Conventional Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would just chill a bit before your test and do your best to fly it like any other flight.

I can't really figure it other than it might have been a hint that the planning was flawed or not to the examiner's liking.

I did once have an instructor who questioned why I had calculated MSA and wasn't flying it. I didn't bother to explain and chose never to fly with him again.

However you look at it, there is no legal requirement to fly at or above a calculated MSA during a VFR flight in the UK. Take one look at the Eastern Stansted transponder mandatory zone, then figure how far below MSA (by any of the popular calculation methods) you would have to be to fly in it.

It was made more than clear to me that the reason to calculate MSA for VFR flights was insurance against being stuck in cloud. If the 180 degree turn didn't work, climb to MSA whilst talking to whoever controls the airspace you just busted and live to tell the tale. OK more seriously one would look for routes where it wouldn't be an issue and be very aware of where it might be, but you get the concept.