PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where is Mr Guppy these days?
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2011, 19:24
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The accounts of his lifestyle were at times surreal. He was everything from a present-day 747 pilot, to some James Bond character flying in Afghanistan while being fired on, and everything "aviation-job" in between. He also had a fantastic number of major accidents. Individually he was very technically knowledgeable but it simply did not hang together. He was much discussed off the forum and nobody I know thought he was anything other than a Walter Mitty, albeit one with a totally encyclopaedic knowledge of technical aviation matters. There are / have been other WM characters here and elsewhere and they invariably meet the same end because one has only the one life, one has to sleep some of it, and the sum total of stuff claimed just does not hang together if you read the person's posts in its entirety.

Of course we will never know, but I have a 15 year old son who can talk accurately about just about every single type of aircraft ever made, down to different versions of a 747, etc. And he has been at it for only about 5 years, while doing model flying. So it can be done.

I still don't know why exactly he got banned (I have never known anybody getting banned from a forum for being a WM) but it did not suprise me.