PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2011, 16:47
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Control laws and mechanical failures

@ Doze: Sorry to cross-reference posts. I apologize.

@ the Bear: It's possible that parts came off the jet or that some systems had mechanical failures ( not computer failures), but I doubt it. The CVR snippets we have so far are not filled with "whoa!", "Holy crapola!", or other indications that the ride was very rough.

The gee and other aero data from the recorders will provide some clues as far as parts falling off or actuators jammed or.......

@ all here:

I only use my own experience and understanding of another FBW system, with it's "laws" and logic, so folks won't think all FBW systems are the same. Additionally, I hoped to let folks know that despite some claims/assertions that the stick moves the control surfaces the same way, the same rate, the same amount, etc. all the time, even in alternate laws - THEY DO NOT! We're not in Kansas any more, Toto.

I also wanted to show folks that there are flight conditions that the designers never figured on when developing the system logic and gains and "forward-lagged rate" inputs to the commanded gee or roll rates. Same for the reverse. For example, the roll rate command we had used a lot less onset rate when rolling into a bank than rolling out. Next time you see a T-bird performance, note that the jet stops the roll on a dime. Contrast this with the Blues, with their pseudo-FBW system. I can see the slight hesitation when a Blue stops his roll ( the solo guys/gals). The Viper looks like a video game and the roll stops instantly.