PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A bit of a weird one?
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2011, 16:08
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Seriously, if you don't use a degree, within a few years, it is worth nothing.

Aeronautical engineering degrees are perhaps the exception -if (for example) you have an Aero-Eng degree, and work in aviation for a few years, you are probably regarded as having worked in the field and are still employable since all that flying knowledge is just added to your engineering knowledge.

A business management degree, worked as a pilot for a few years - that degree probably has no value and no employer will take it seriously.
My personal opinion is that an MSc in aviation management, achieved a few years into an established aviation career, has significant value. A batchelors degree in aviation management - at-least the ones I've seen, is largely worthless. It panders to the fiction that a degree is worth lots regardless of what it's in. This just isn't true - and probably hasn't been since the 1980s.

A backstop is something that will get you a decent job if you lose your medical! So, most degrees, if you go straight from your degree into flying, probably aren't that because they will pass their shelf life through not being built upon. It is also a very expensive way of spending 3 or 4 years these days.

([q uote] before the text, then [/q uote] after the text (without the spaces I've just put in) ).

G