PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2011, 15:14
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
THS trim not immediately commanded

Right on the spot, Doze!

I realize that the THS didn't start moving until later in the sequence of events.

Your AoA protection quote bugs most of we pilots here, as AoA is the primary concern with a stall or approach to a stall, not airspeed. I look at the wimpy AoA bars on the display and it's hard to understand how an important indication is not "expanded" vertically when it becomes an active player in aircraft control.

I also note confusing inputs to the "confusers" re: speed versus AoA when either or both becomes primary for "protecting" the pilots and the jet. You would think that the jet would revert to AoA if speed was deemed unreliable and SCREW THE SPEED! And then quit giving warnings until the speed was not only deemed reliable, but well above the computed stall speed ( but AoA still determines stall, not speed).

BTW, we didn't call our stuff "protection" as much as we called them "limiters". About the only "protection" control law we had was added during FSD, and it was a yaw command by the system if AoA was above the limiter value. It was one of the things that made our deep stall stable and kept us from entering a spin. It didn't work inverted, so it was possible to enter an inverted spin when in an inverted deep stall, kinda scary, huh? Oh well, a small thing we had to put up with, heh heh.