PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2011, 13:54
GarageYears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
What you are suggesting is an interconnection with both SS (Bus bar or by Electric synchronisation) and in abnormal situations you want to disconnect this synch.

A lot of engineering ahead for a feature which will be of -no use- most of the time.
The same could be said for Stall Warning and a lot of other basic items that are required by regulation on a normal airliner.

Quote:
There is a visual indication of resultant SS inputs on PFD on ground.
Lotta' good that does at FL 350.

The yoke in your gut on a normal airliner tells you the other pilot is pulling hard. You don't have to look at a display or at his hand, or a Trim in Motion alert. Does the A330 have a Trim in Motion alert?
This discussion merits a momentary distraction.

First the idea of driving the PNF stick in response to the PF inputs. The first issue I have is that the side-sticks are 'handed' - the left stick leans toward the cockpit center by perhaps 5-10 degrees, the right stick leans the opposite direction, presumably to 'sit' nicely in the appropriate hand. Does that have any implication as far as the PNF interpreting the stick inputs, as opposed to giving those stick inputs. I suspect it does? Secondly, my impression is that stick inputs are generally subtle (since the stick itself does not have much travel - not sure of distances). So the second concern is whether these stick inputs would be particularly noticeable, particularly when things are going to hell in a hand-basket? I believe gums noted in prior post that the PNF is much more likely to notice the change in 'g' due to control inputs (my butt is being pushed into the seat = we're pitching up...). Given that the sticks were motorized and driven, what happens when a dual-input occurs? Currently the system issues an audible warning "dual input" and I believe sums the inputs. Override can be achieved by pressing the "take control" button. With a driven system what happens?

The throw away comment above regarding stall warning is spurious and flippant in my book, you could equally say the same thing about a fire warning, etc. Nothing to do with what was being discussed.