PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is aviation in Africa really unsafe?
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2011, 13:37
DRPAM007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I.R. Pirate,
A bit unfair generalisation, dont you think?
You seem to infer that all other nationalities adhere to safe aviation practices while in Africa except the Locals (all colours)

Have you thought of instances where non- African Pilots, engineers and other personnel have displayed reckless disregard for safety when operating in Africa because of the mis-conception that "This is Africa, where nothing works and normal rules dont apply"?
I personally have had quite a few instances. An example was while flying as co-pilot to some smart ambitious expatriate line training captain ( ex-Logan air skipper) who thought it was a good idea for us to take off overweight on a commercial flight with passengers, with a loadsheet which he signed showing the airplane being over the MTOW. As a measure of goodwill, he decided to falsify the loadsheet. When I insisted we need to remove actual weights from the aircraft, he tried to kick up a fuss saying the aircraft can take off with the excess weight. He then recommended starting up , taxi to a remote area rev the engines and burn fuel till we are at the MTOW. I reminded him that we were well about the Max ramp weight also. He became verbally abusive and I calmly informed him that I intend to make formal report of the event; that sort of shut him up.
To cut the story short, we dropped some baggage, completed the flight and I filed my report. He got a slap on the wrist, but I think it scuttled his plans of becoming chief Pilot.

My point is, will he even dream of attempting such madness in The UK with Logan air?
Imagine what he'll do if I was'nt there?

Last edited by DRPAM007; 8th Jun 2011 at 09:25.