PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Student Visa in CANADA
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2002, 08:20
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Richard,

I don't think anyone is having a go at you. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Many people are very frustrated at the US government/FAA/whoever is responsible for these rules. I can imagine that it must be equally as frustrating for you. I know that I, for one, am very grateful that you are taking the time to explore the rules and clarify them, in an effort to make it as easy as possible for foriegn pilots to fly, legally, in the US. But that doesn't make the rules any less stupid or less frustrating.

Personally, I am thankful that I did my hour-building in the US before these rules came into place. I think that if I were looking to fly in America now, I would seriously consider Canada as opposed to the US. This is not a reflection on you, Richard, or on your school, or any other US-based school, but on the authorities.

The only thing which I'd like to add to any advice given here, or in Richard's thread at the top of the forum, is this: regardless of what the requirements are, I would suggest that, if circumstances allow, you get a Visa. It might be that the law says that the particular type of flying you're doing doesn't require a Visa, but I doubt if many immigration officials keep as up-to-date with the rules as we do, especially when they're changing on a nearly-daily basis. If you are unfortunate enough to come across an immigration official who doesn't know the rules as well as you do, and who decides that you need a Visa even though the rules say you don't, you will be sent back home with no right of appeal.

I logged 100 hours in the US over two months, and it was some of the most fun I've ever had in the air. I just hope that the authorities see sense soon and make it as easy for other to enjoy this experience as it was for me. In the mean time, thank you, Richard, for your hard work.

FFF
--------------