PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bachelor of aviation (flying) degree
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2011, 08:23
ChaseIt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will, I did a degree with Swinburne and had a great time! got to party and play up whilst i also learnt some great stuff and met some top people who are still great friends... With it being so hard trying to find work these days maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to give it a crack and wait for 'the next dip in the roller coaster'... However some tips for if you do decide to do it...

1. If the flying has anything to do with 'Oxford' don't do the training with them... Go to some other mob that has a solid base and good reputation with older more experienced instructors... Oxford market their product well, yet the fact of the matter is that the guys that will be teaching you with Oxford are only fresh CPL's themselves and haven't yet grasped flying either... on top of that the rates which they charge for the aircraft hire is shocking (way to much icing on the cake!) I know for a fact, (because i was so shocked myself) that you can hire a twin at other schools for less then what they charge for a single! and if your planning on going into the charter world I think an old 'gas and steam' twin would benefit you a lot more in the long run...

2. If your course includes ATPL subjects see if you can skip it and go do the study with AFT in the sunny coast. The cost of one ATPL subject at uni is just as expensive as the 4 major ones with Nath... I know at Swinburne if you complete the CASA ATPL exam that is more then enough for the university to pass that component

3. Network as much as you can it won't hurt you in any way just help you if anything.

4. Just enjoy.

If you have any other questions mate feel free to inbox me otherwise have fun!