PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Epsom Derby 2011
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2011, 07:54
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Satcop thanks. At least we have now seen something of Epsom 2011, well done!

Prior to your post I received a PM from another PPRuNer stating that the Godolphin/Al Maktoum aircraft were 'in country'. Evidently the 139's are 'trucked' (I supposed air freighted) between the UAE and the UK for the racing season. I know that the late Kerry Packer had a similar scenario (as do many) over the UK's summer months but I believe the arrangement was that he kept a couple of 76's with Signature which were then chartered the rest of the year. His Aussie-based (but ex-RN) pilot Nick Ross would however come over and assist with piloting the craft.

Back to your video-still; I have never really come to terms with the fuselage design of the 139 and its boxy-NH90-style radar-deflecting straight edges. I suppose its done for structural purposes adding survivability to the fuse (a guess) but, it is most un-Italian and totally lacking the grace and fluidity so prominent in other forms of Italian design and engineering.

Covering the fuse with dark colours helps a little but, as demonstrated by the Aga Khan's ship in the foreground of your image, when in stark white and at certain angles and light levels .. the word ugly comes to mind.

Hopefully a better turnout next year.