PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sea Jet
Thread: Sea Jet
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2011, 06:07
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JAJ,

I'm very sorry if you think I'm trying to claim any one jet as a 'panacea' for any one role. Apologies if you thought I was.

BUT... JFH didn't write their job spec, that was developed in the Government and at Strike. The 'job' was to be able to deploy a balanced maritime strike and AD force from sea and land if required. They were set up to do that, and declared as such by RAF Strike Command (as was). These are the facts.

Like you, I get really tired of people over-selling one platform. JFH never tried to claim it was 'better' than Tornadoes at certain jobs, and always knew that Typhoon, once it came along, would be a quite outstanding AD aircraft - after all, it is designed specifically for that role (less of a compromise). SHAR, as I freely admitted, was carrying a number of limitations - like almost all aircraft - but was still effective. Very effective.

My put - carrier borne aviation is an essential PART (note PART) of the Uk's overall military capability. The politicians (our bosses) said so in SDR, and again in SDSR. The problem is that we've run out of money to do it, like other essential capabilities.

Best Regards as ever

Engines.