PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - useless callouts
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2011, 02:42
Captain Dart

Location: with the other ex-CX pond scum (a zoologist was once head of Flight Ops)
Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
After promising beginnings when even management considered that the old CX briefings were ridiculously long-winded, the 'CTWO' briefs have become 'CTWO + threats + strategies to mitigate the threats + landing distance assessment'.

The briefings are becoming 'threats' in themselves; long-winded and distracting. For a start it should be just 'standard brief' for HKG arrivals and departures in reasonable weather and normal operations.

And don't get me started on the ridiculous callouts. I remember a post where some bright spark actually counted the number of times he said 'check' in a TPE-HKG flight. I think it was over a hundred.

Other hates:

'heads down'
'park brake off'
e.g. 'East Bumf_ck VOR identified' (having been autotuned in an RNAV environment)
'above MSA' on the climb (not even CX requires this)
'your radios'
threats made up for the sake of it such as 'inbound traffic'

And Profit, before you tell me to 'leave and start my own airline', if just one of our pilots, or dare I say a manager, takes what I have to say on board, my work here is done. You can always quit PPrUNE and start your own bulletin board.

Last edited by Captain Dart; 7th Jun 2011 at 03:52.