PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bachelor of aviation (flying) degree
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2011, 02:10
b_sta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say you've misunderstood what I've said. I'm well aware that an aviation degree as a supposed prerequisite is unlikely to assist one in specifically becoming a pilot, and I'd also absolutely agree with your statements that getting a non-aviation degree simply as a backup is a futile exercise. However, where a degree does come in handy is, as I already stated, through the development of an indepth education - the taught ability to critique, question, research and explore - the motivational benefits, the social experience, and the satisfaction of achieving a major goal in life for many people.

Personally, I know far more people who've attended university - not just in aviation - than haven't, and I can't think of one who's regretted it. Perhaps 18 year olds with stars in their eyes and promises of an FO job on a 74 may end up regretting attending, given an expectation of such instant, causative success, but for those attending university for the right reasons, it's hard to beat in terms of personal growth at any age.

My thoughts, specifically? Do the training to become a pilot, if that's what you want, then do a degree - whichever degree you think you'll enjoy or will assist you in some way - as an addition to broaden your own knowledge, perceptions and skills. Don't waste your time doing an aviation degree because you think it'll get you a job, and don't waste your time doing a non-aviation degree simply as a backup.

Last edited by b_sta; 7th Jun 2011 at 02:36.