PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bachelor of aviation (flying) degree
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2011, 01:06
Di_Vosh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same old same old...

To save myself a lot of typing I'll quote a post I made only four months ago on this very topic...

If you want to fly, then fly! If you want to do a degree, then do a degree! It really doesn't get much simpler than that!

Only do a degree if you've got a genuine interest in doing that degree. Don't bother with an aviation degree until you've got full-time employment in aviation (you can do them via distance learning).

DO NOT do a degree as a 'back up' qualification. Considering the costs of tertiary education, you're just wasting your time and money which could be better spent getting hours in your log book.

Besides, most degree courses have a half-life. I'll use myself as an example: I graduated Melbourne Uni in 1986 with a BSc in Biological science (Majors in Genetics, Biochemistry and a sub-major in Immunology). My first professional job was as an accounts clerk in 1987 and in 1988 I'd moved into I.T.

By 1988 my BSc was useless as an employment tool, as the science had advanced so much in 18 months that I wasn't employable with the qualifications that I had. I got the I.T. job because the company I worked for wanted a Uni graduate. NOT an I.T. graduate; just someone who'd gone through uni. (Okay, so there is a 'use' for a degree. But you've got to ask yourself is it worth three years of your life and the money. Uni was free in my day).

I remained in I.T until 2005. After that I've been employed full time either with the military or in aviation. At no time in any of the airlines that I've worked for (including Qlink), have the recruitment people wanted to see tertiary education.

I was an I.T. professional for 18 years. These skills also have a half-life and I doubt that I could get I.T. work now after a six year absence. If I can't get an I.T. job (18 years experience) after a six year hiatus, do you really think that you've got a 'backup' (with nothing more than a basic degree) if you lose your licence 5 years later?

Trust me you won't!