PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Keith Williams
Thread: Keith Williams
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2011, 22:34
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Indeed WHBM, another example that I have seen in my time is the building strategy:

1. The company have a number of regional buildings, either due to natural expansion or acquisition.
  2. So they work out how much money they can save by moving everyone into a single HQ. It will cost a fair amount in one-off costs but it will be worth. having everyone under the same roof will produce Synergy and Savings and Blah Blah.
  3. They make the big move and some folks don't want to make the move and take redundancy and others are let go (with suitable expressions of sadness) other bits of fall out occur.
  4. 10 years go by and the CEO changes ...
  5. 20 years go by and the CEO changes ...
  6. Then they say:
    "The business has changed"
    "If we de-centralise we will empower all our people to do their best"
    "We need to be out in the market place nearer to our customers"
    So they break up the company into smaller bits and move it around the country and some people take redundancy and others are let go (with suitable expressions of sadness) etc.
  7. 10 years go by and the CEO changes ...
I have seen this happen in commerce as well as central govt. It's just one of the myriad ways that mgmt waste money and people. Sorry to be so cynical but having been in commerce for 34 years ... I've landed up this way.